Ninth Annual Worldwide Meeting of Artists and Developers of Open Source Graphics Applications
The Team and the Host
- Venue: École Polytechnique happy to host LGM for the fourth time in 2014
- Dates: We have 2 options to choose from. Before PyCon means LGMers who wish to extend their stay will be able to attend PyCon 2014, from Sunday 6 to Friday 20 April. Drawback is the students’ residences are not available to visitors at that time of the year. If we go by our Regular Schedule in Montreal, we still have access to the Python Montreal guys with whom we can organise nice hacking events like in 2011 and the students’ residence are available!
- Before PyCon : Wednesday April 2 – Saturday April 5, 2014 (PyCon starts Sunday April 6)
- Our Regular Schedule : Wednesday May 7 – Saturday May 10, 2014
- Local Contacts: Louis Desjardins (LGM) and Benoît Ozell (Polytechnique)
- Dynamic, enthusiastic, dedicated and experienced team who has organised 3 successful LGM since its creation, assisted by the École Polytechnique personnel: audiovisual, technical and maintenance staff, analysts from the IT dept, software engineers, etc.
- Host of LGM in 2007, 2009, 2011
- Polytechnique strongly supports FLOSS
- Large auditorium with audio/video console, including all related material:
- Radio microphones for the audience
- Hands free microphones for the speakers
- Large screen, beamer, pointer, computer, cables, power
- Fresh water and glasses
- Hand drawn 5-min warnings
- Smaller auditoriums available next to the main auditorium
- Lots of adjacent class rooms for BoFs and Team Meetings
- Large gathering room across the corridor in front of the main auditorium for meetings, workshops and coffee break
- Enough room for 10 or more workstations for testing and demo’ing
- Coffee break for everyone
- Working areas including power and Wi-fi for everyone
- Exposition Hall
- Internet Access
Wi-fi throughout the whole campus
Wired Internet in Residence Rooms (Ethernet cables lended for free)
- Access to the campus cafeterias
- Lots of restaurants of all kinds within 10/15-minute walk
- Even food delivery at the University door!
- Our Great LGM Supper will be back!
- We’ll make sure to please both vegetarians and carnivores!
- Choice of water, juices, beer and wine
- Very conveniently, the facilities of the campus are available to the LGM participants. This includes the Student Residence Rooms that are on the campus and only a few steps away from the LGM.
- Student Residence Rooms available at nearly the same price as in 2011*
- The prices are for the rooms. There is no extra charge per person.
- Special prices are offered to LGM participants.
Breakfast is served every morning in the main hall of the students’ residences
*2014 price not yet available
Type of Room
- SOLO Room for 1
- DUO Room for 2
- MULTI Room for 3
- COZY Suite for 2
Capacity of accomodation largely exceeds LGM needs
LGM 24 hours a day!
- From your bedroom to the LGM auditorium: 5-minute walk!
- Access to Residence Hall 24 hours/day including Wi-fi access at all time
- Each floor has a small “salon” where you can gather and discuss
- You can get the work done!
- Parking, Gym & Swimming Pool, Kitchen, Laundry, Ethernet Cables
- Parking is available on the campus: $12 per day. Flat price $30 for 3-7 days. [2014 prices to be confirmed]
- CEPSUM, the Campus Sport Center has gym and interior swimming pool. Access for [2014 prices to be confirmed soon – was 9$ per day] per day.
- Access to the kitchen is free however you have to bring your kitchen accessories and pots & pans.
- Laundry machines available on-site at reasonable cost.
- Ethernet cables: lend for free and must be returned to the front desk at check-out.
There is a great choice for accomodation in the city, at all prices:
- Couch surfing
- Appartment renting
- Hotel rooms
- Bed & Breakfast
Accessing the host city
- International City and Airport with direct connexions with lots of Int’l airports
- Direct flights from Montreal International Airport to more than 130 regular and seasonal destinations in Canada, the U.S.A. and internationally.
Duration of flight to/from Montreal, typical cost, kind of flight from the following cities:
- Francfurt – 7:45/7:00 – 900 € – direct flight
- Amsterdam – 7:25/6:35 – 900 € – direct flight
- London – 7:25/6:40 – 897 € – direct flight
- Zurich – 8:10/7:20 – 903 € – direct flight
- Brussels 7:40/6:50 – 793 € – direct flight
- Paris 7:35/6:45 – 793 € – direct flight
- Rome 15:52/14:45 – 661 € – 1 stop
- Belgrade 11:15/10:00 – 880 € – 1 stop
- Los Angeles – 11:00/11:00 – ? € – direct flight
- San Francisco – 5:26/6:20 – ? € – direct flight
- Chicago – 2:05/2:35 – ? € – direct flight
- Mexico City – 5:17/5:45 – 517 € – direct flight
- Sao Paulo – 14:25/13:50 – 855 € – 1 stop
- Caracas – 9:40/9:50 – 1099 € – 1 stop
- Medellin – 15:20/14:40 – 856 € – 1 stop
- Moscow – 13:15/14:10 – 936 € – 1 stop/2 stops
- Kiev – 18:40/12:05 – 899 € – 1 stop/2 stops
- Stockholm – 13:15/13:20 – 861 € – 1 stop
- Dakar – 18:05/21:30 – 1470 € – 1 stop
- Ho Chi Min Ville – 25:05/32:25 – 1271 € – 1 stop
Within driving range from New York City, Boston, Toronto, Quebec City, etc.
- 370 miles – 7-hour drive from NEW YORK CITY
- 321 miles – 6-hour drive from BOSTON
- 542 km – 6-hour drive from TORONTO
- 255 km – 3-hour drive from QUEBEC CITY
- 211 km – 2-hour drive from GATINEAU/OTTAWA
Montreal by night
- Good food, good beer, good wine!
- Incredibile night life!
- Good public transport including late metro and night buses
Partners and Friends of LGM, actual sponsors or prospects
- Ecole Polytechnique Host University of LGM in 2007, 2009, 2011
- Mardigrafe Graphic design & Ecological Printing co.
- Python Montréal
- Savoir-Faire Linux
- ICGQ – Graphic Art Institute
- Montreal Printing Museum
- Société des Arts Technologiques / Society for Arts and Technology
- AQPERE Zero Waste / Carbon Neutral Partner
- Révolution Linux
- FACIL — FLOSS Local Association
- Ministère des services gouvernementaux du Québec
- Ministère de l’Éducation du Québec
- Société GRICS Schoolboard Organisation
- Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
- Cascades Fine Paper Group — Local Sponsor
- Xerox Canada — Local Sponsor
- Groupe Nustream – Graphic industry supplier
- Université du Québec à Montréal (UQÀM)
- Concordia University
- McGill University
- City of Montreal
- Health: there are no specific recommendations for travellers about health issues in Canada. This info will be updated if necessary. This info is informative only and is not a medical advice.
- Security: there are no specific security warnings for travellers in Canada for the time being (may 2013).
- Who needs a visa?
- Discover Canada
People from the following groups may propose a talk at LGM and/or are welcome to participate. Various fields of activity should be represented, including graphic arts, design, architecture, computer science, etc.
- Graphic Art Industry
- Ink Specialists
- Color specialists
- Software publishers
- Prepress specialists
- Post-press specialists
- Graphic designers
- Art directors
- IT people
- Graphic designers associations
- Local Linux Users Groups
- Linux distributions people
- Other curious souls