Ethical/Political and Security Issues
Colombian laws are friendly with european travelers. Most countries doesn’t need a tourist visa and no fingerprints are needed at the airport check-out.
Countries that don’t need a visa are: Argentina, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Denmark, Ecuador, El Salvador, Spain, United States, Finland, France, Great Britain, Guatemala, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Mexico, Norway, The Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Republic of Korea (South Korea), Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela and foreign residents of Canada and the United States.
Criminality issues have decreased over the past years, keeping a media of 40 kills per 100.000 people. Medellín Bureau will help and guide through the selection of the venue, hotels and areas where LGM will be hosting.
Most frequent illnesses are mountain sickness, stomach problems, malaria and yellow fever in some forest areas. Before travelling to jungle regions, you must have the yellow fever and tetanus vaccines at least 15 days in advance. Not needed for Medellin, however, not a bad idea to get them prior the trip.
Medellin Bureau is offering the following:
• Marketing items Designs: books, Presentations, others
• Arrangement and coordination of inspection visits to Medelling, acording to the client requirements.
• Help to select the event venue.
• Marketing papers as brochures, videos and pictures of Medellin city
• Turistic contacts with Bureau partners to get discount with local services.
• Spread the event info through the Bureau monthly newsletter.
• Event at the Bureau website calendar www.medellinconventionbureau.com and at www.medellin.travel.
• 1 International anual trip
• Link with local state office.
April 14-19, 2013
Description of the City
Medellin has the unique contrast of a vital and rapidly developing metropolis and vibrant nature, with spring like weather and an excellent tourism platform for congress, conferences, and general events.
Between tradition and transformation it becomes a center for big business under schemes of
innovation and entrepreneurship. The city offers competitive costs and wellness, providing visitors
with the best places for interaction of academic, professional, commercial, cultural, artistic, and
- A green city: surrounded by nature and mountains, appropriate for any academic or recreational activity.
- City of medium size: easy mobility and transport.
- Very good touristic platform: with a modern and functional infrastructure, tourism service providers, who are specialized in meetings.
- Attendees to conferences and conventions can focus their attention and time more on academic activities than on leisure and pleasure.
- Competitive costs.
- Due to its social, cultural and urban transformation.
- Medellin means opportunity: prosperous, safe and reliable business.
- More security guarantees for citizens and visitors.
- Entertainment and amusement: City Tours, Shopping Tours, Gastronomic Tours, Partying, Tours to surrounding regions of Antioquia.
- Friendly and dynamic people, committed to providing excellent service.
Jose Maria Cordova, International Airport, is located in the municipality of Rionegro in eastern Antioquia, 40 km (24 Mi.) and 45 minutes outside of Medellin and its metropolitan area. The journey to the airport seems short because it is connected by an accessible route, “Las Palmas”, free from traffic stops, a route that allows you to enjoy and admire the greenery and the mountains of Antioquia.
Several airlines offer their services to the city of Medellin: American Airlines, Copa Airlines Colombia, Avianca-Taca, LAN, ADA, Satena, Spirit Airlines, and Insel Air. Jose Maria Cordova has 97 frequencies per week, direct international Flights to Panamá, Miami, Quito, Caracas, Ft. Lauderdale, San José de Costa Rica, Lima, Madrid, Curacao y New York. Also 38 direct daily flights to and from Bogota, the capital of Colombia (35 min by air), and an average of 127 seats per aircraft.
- Alcaldía de Medellín is the entity in charge of the local government, under premise “Medellin un hogar para la vida” the current administration development plan is based on the following strategic lines: 1. Life, 2. Equity; 3. Development 4.Sustainability 4.Institutions, with which they propend to ensure the welfare of the citizens.
- Proexport Colombia, Entity that promotes international tourism, foreign investment.
- Medellin Convention & Visitors Bureau, The Medellin Convention and Visitors Bureau is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to Medellin City and Antioquia province’s promotion as tourism destinations for business and leisure.
Plaza Mayor-Conventions and exhibitions. The Integration of the Exhibition Hall and the Convention Center, gave rise to Plaza Mayor: two sites in one place. Here the pathway joins the vanguard.
Its strategic location allows easy access from anywhere in the city and is at a 45 minutes-drive from Jose Maria Cordova International Airport (MDE). Plaza Mayor – Convention Center: synonymous of versatility and multiple options.
- With a total area of 22,000 m2 (236,800 ft2), it has 21 meeting rooms.
- A Great Hall: With capacity for 3,000 people in auditorium arrangement (2,616 m 2 or 28,160 ft 2), and able to be divided into 6 areas to host groups larger than 200 people, with simultaneous translation cabins in each of the divided areas.
- 9 Additional Meeting Rooms: additional areas with capacities ranging from 20 to 300 people.
- The Wooden Box: an architectural landmark, emblem of Plaza Mayor and the city. Due to its special design and the different uses that can be given to space, this can be arranged in different ways to suit specific needs.
- Access and Registration Offices, Press Room, VIP room, Business Center and offices for Operators of events.
- All rooms have sound and lighting and the most modern audiovisual equipment with permanent technical support.
- Plaza Mayor counts with a wide range of registered suppliers of logistics and catering services.
Plaza Mayor – Exhibition Hall: traditionally, the site for fairs and exhibitions in Medellin. It offers a covered exhibition area of more than 12,000 m² (129,200 ft 2), divided into 4 large pavilions, with separate access for each, connected by a central hall with a capacity to house between 3,000 to 8,000 visitors and 500 stands, and a 2,500 m² cultural square with capacity for 7,000 standing visitors. It also has a VIP lounge, restaurants, and access and registration offices.
Plaza Mayor currently has two (2) internet channels of two (2) Mb each, connected to the wireless network. This capacity can be extended according to the needs of each event. There is access to all areas of both Conventions and Exhibitions, except outdoors.
Plaza Mayor has five large outdoor electronic signalers operated by Publik Company.
Indoors, both exhibition and convention halls have 20 plasma screens spread across the
different areas of the premises which are programmable and operated by Videobase, an
audiovisual services company.
Ongoing Management! During the past two years, 2009-2010, the Convention and Exhibition Center Plaza Mayor has invested a total of 2 million dollars. The investment has been aimed at landscaping, offices, electronic signaling, security, and the design of new Pavilions.
To emphasize in 2013… We will have a new hall, the Green Hall, with a covered exhibition area of approx. 3,200 m² (34,440 ft2), for a total of 15,200 m² (163,600 ft2) of covered exhibition space. Plaza Mayor- Conventions & Exhibitions will invest about USD $8 million in this project.
Hotel Rates at Medellin
Please, take a look at: http://lgm.titanpad.com/3