In this picture you see most of the developpers and supporters which attended LGM in 2008. We also already have a list of participants, which have alreay confirmed that they will attend the next Libre Graphics Meeting in Montréal.
The main projects
- prof. page layout
- prof. publishing features
- CMYK color
- ICC color management
- versatile PDF creation
- available in more than 24 languages
Scribus is a an open-source DTP application with a modern and user friendly interface.
Program's main goal is to provide flexible layout and typesetting together with ability to prepare files for professional quality image setting equipment.
- creating new images
- CMYK, L*a*b and more colorspaces
- 8-32-bit per-channel
- support for natural painting tools
- integration with KOffice
Krita – a program named with Swedish word denoting "pencil" or "chalk" is a very promising bitmap graphics editor. Designed to be both a painting application and a photo editor, it is free software distributed under GNU General Public License and a part of K Desktop Environment and its KOffice suite.
- vector graphics editor
- complex scripts
- linked bitmap
- "live" object copies
- grouping objects
- filter effects
- masks and clipping paths
Inkscape is a free vector graphics editing software distributed under GNU Public License. It utilizes GTK+ and gtkmm which ultimately is planned to be the only way to use program0s graphical user interface.
Inkscape supports among others things like: flowed text, improved export functions to formats like: EPS (Encapsulated PostScript), PS (PostScript), EPSI (Encapsulated PostScript Interchange), AI (Adobe Illustrator), SVG, POV (POV-Ray, only splines), SVGZ (compressed SVG), tracing bitmap functionality with the integrated plug-in using potrace. Its GUI is a typical one consisting of integrated toolbar and drawing area.
Inkscape's native file format is SVG. The application supports among other things: rendering using fully anti-alias, Alpha channel transparency, various gradients and fill techniques, built-in line end markers, outline fonts.
Inkscape, although primarily developed for Linux, is cross-platform and at this point in time runs also on other operating systems, like: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and other Unix-like ones.
- raster graphics editor
- 150 standard effects and filters
- converting between different formats
- layers, selections, paths
GIMP, The GNU Image Manipulation Program, is a popular raster graphics editor application which supports also basic vector graphics.
GIMP can be used to process digital graphics and photographs: create pictures, resize and crop photos, combine multiple images, convert different image formats etc. It also allows creating simple animations in GIF format.
The Program offers full suite of painting tools (including brushes, pencil, airbrush, cloning tool, etc.), layers and channels, transformation tools (rotate, scale, shear and flip), selection tools (like rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy), path tool and supports many file formats, e.g. GIF, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP. Great amount of plug-ins is available, which enables to experiment with different filters. GIMP functions can be called from external programs (such as Script-Fu) what enables automating often repeated or very complicated activities.
- UV unwrapping
- texturing, rigging, skinning
- animating, rendering
- particle and other simulating
- non-linear editing
Blender is a free 3D animation program that can be used for modeling, UV unwrapping, texturing, rigging, skinning, animating, rendering, particle and other simulating, non-linear editing, compositing, and creating interactive 3D applications.
Among some of its features are:
- Support for a variety of geometric primitives, including polygon meshes, fast subdivision surface modeling, Bezier curves, NURBS surfaces, metaballs, digital sculpting, and vector fonts.
- Versatile internal rendering capabilities and integration with YafRay, an open source ray tracer.
- Keyframed animation tools including inverse kinematics, armature (skeletal), hook, curve and lattice-based deformations, shape keys (morphing), non-linear animation, constraints, vertex weighting, soft body dynamics including mesh collision detection, fluid dynamics, Bullet rigid body dynamics, particle based hair, and a particle system with collision detection.
- Python scripting for tool creation and prototyping, game logic, importing and exporting from other formats such as COLLADA and task automation.
- Basic non-linear video editing and compositing capabilities.
- Game Blender, a sub-project, offers interactivity features such as collision detection, dynamics engine, and programmable logic. It also allows the creation of stand-alone, real-time applications ranging from architectural visualization to video game construction.
The most noticeable examples of Blender employment were probably Spider-Man 2 movie and Elephant Dreams -- world's first "open movie".
Completing the graphics environment
A complete free graphics environment results from dozens of other projects for mananging fonts, colors, PDFs, cliparts, and lot more...
CreateWe catalyze communication and sharing between Free and Open Source creative software communities like Inkscape, Gimp, Scribus, Open Clip Art library, Open Font Library and more. We do Libre Graphics Meeting and share Specifications. Join our Mailing List, use the Wiki, or chat at #create on irc.freenode.net.
- Output in many formats
- Non destructive editing
- C, C#, Python and Ruby interfaces
- XML serialization format (not-finalized)
- Iterative processing
GEGL (Generic Graphics Library) is a graph based image processing framework.
GEGL's original design was made to scratch GIMP's itches for a new compositing and processing core. This core is being designed to have minimal dependencies. and a simple well defined API.
- image stitching and warping
- photometric calibration
- lens distorsion correction
- HDR deghosting and merging
- flexible tonemapping
HuginWith hugin you can assemble a mosaic of photographs into a complete immersive panorama, stitch any series of overlapping pictures and much more.
Open Clip Art LibraryThis project aims to create an archive of clip art that can be used for free for any use. There are over 12,000 clips from more than 700 artists available for download. The Open Clip Art Library uses open standard SVG files for vector format files and places all content into the public domain. The Open Clip Art Library is transitioning to the Creative Commons sponsored Open Source project, cHost , to host content and implement ideas of the community over the last couple of years. Of specific importance at this conference is to meet with developers, coordinate with other projects, and get some time with the community for hacking.
Open Font Library
Typefaces we can all share.
- The Open Font Library is a sister project of the Open Clip Art
Library. The goal of this project is to collect free software fonts -
those that may be used, changed and shared freely.
- Find fine fonts: The Open Font Library hosts the cream of non-proprietary typeface designs.
- Share your typefaces: Individuals share their work here and benefit from collaborative contributions.
- Learn how to make fonts: Become a better type designer with input from our global community.
- Start using @font-face: Link in to Web Fonts! We host font files that you can directly link to from your sites.
OyranosOyranos is a operating system level Colour Management System (CMS). It allows applications and users to obtain a consistent colour match from supporting applications and workflows. Oyranos is intented to coordinate device specific informations (ICC colour profiles), configure theire system wide settings. Oyranos will in the future be able to convert colours across devices on various platforms.
- Intuitive GTK+ interface
- Reads all dcraw supported formats
- Color management using Little CMS
- Batch processing
- Various post-shot controls
- Real time preview in full resolution
Rawstudio is a raw converter for photographers with an easy to use GUI and nice workflow with focus on multiple photo development.
- CMYK colorspace support
- CMYK support in Postscript
- Cairo-based engine
- Color managment
- Universal CDR importer
- Modern Ttk based user interface
sK1 is an open source vector graphics editor similar to CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, or Freehand. First of all sK1 is oriented for PostScript processing.
UniConvertor is a universal vector graphics translator. It uses sK1 engine to convert one format to another. Development of the import/export modules for this program goes through different stages, quality and feature coverage are different among formats.